On April 5th, Sharyl put out the call for participants in her first Bead Packet Design challenge. Five names would be drawn from the ones leaving comments. On April 7th the names of the participants were revealed and I was one of the lucky one chosen to participate in Sharyl's challenge. Sharyl sent out our packets a few days after announcing the participants. Mind you we did not know what the beads looked like only that there were 16 beads of these 16 there were 6 different types of beads. Here is what was in the packet of beads.
The guidelines of the challenge were simple. They stated that we were to use at least two of the different types of beads in the packet in our design. We were required to make one design, but we could make more than one if we wished. After the contest the design that we made and any left over beads were ours to do with as we pleased.
When I received my packet I took the beads out and looked at them and wondered how I was going to uses these beads, but nothing came to mind. I worked on other challenges and projects and would come back to these beads, but still nothing. I knew I needed to have at least one idea, because I was not sure of our deadline. I finally thought I could make earrings, but no that was not enough of a challenge.
Then I thought why don't I make a bracelet, but could not make up my mind what beads I would uses. I thought I could use the drops as the focal and the aqua beads for the spacers. But I really wanted to use more of these pretty beads.
Okay so use the drop beads and the aqua beads for the focal the on the side I could use the two 12mm disk beads and the 6mm rounds. Then I can use a herringbone stitch rope to connect them together. Hmm that is going to make the bracelet too big. Ahh heck I will just make a necklace.
So I started stitching a twisted herringbone rope using size 11 bronze and teal seed beads. I got two and a half inches done and decided to put the first bead in the design. I chose the 4x8 mm roundel and continued to stitch another two inches. Then I strung the 6 mm round bead, a 4mm bicone crystal from my stash, the 12mm disk bead, a 4mm bicone, and a 6mm round. Stitched one and a half inches of herringbone then strung the aqua beads and the drops and stopped and looked at it. It just was not right something was missing. So I tore it apart, yes all those little tiny beads. I started over got the first section with the 4x8mm and stopped again. Nope do not like this, so I tore it apart and went to my local bead store where I found the brass bead caps and spacers. When I got back home I decided to just bead the herringbone tube fist in sections then string everything together with flexible beading wire.
I used the large disk bead as part of the clasp. I strung crimp beads onto the beading wire then the large disk bead, a 4 mm bicone and a bronze 11 seed bead, strung the beading wire back down the bicone, the disk bead, and the crimp beads and then secured the beading wire with the crimp beads. I strung all of the components on to the beading wire and when I got to the other end I strung on two crimp beads and 35 bronze seed beads. I looped the beading wire back down through the crimp beads and the herringbone tube. I made sure every piece was in place and no gapes and secured the beading wire with the crimp beads.
The two herringbone tubs near the drop beads I used 3mm Palace Green Opal Swaroski bicone crystals. In each one inch tube there are 24 crystals.
I hope you like my challenge piece. I want to thank Sharyl for letting me participate in this challenge and I hope to be able to participate in her future challenges. This one proved to be quite a challenge for me, but I am loving the end results.
Please take the time to go by and visit the other participants in Sharyl's Bead Packet Design Challenge.
Therese Frank you are here
Happy beading Y'all,