Monday, May 7, 2012

A Time To Stitch Challenge



"A stitch in time saves nine!"  Ben Franklin
"Keep your fears to yourself and share your inspiration with others!"  Robert Lewis Stevenson


Hi Y'all,

I would like to welcome y'all to my first challenge to celebrate my one year blogiversary.  I have teamed up with Christine of One Kiss Creations to bring this challenge to you.

In the past year that Christine and I have been participating in the blog sphere we have not encountered a challenge to create a piece using a certain bead weaving stitch.  So here is what Christine and I are proposing to the first 30 people that would like to participate in this challenge.  Create a piece or pieces using the Peyote stitch or the Herringbone stitch and if you are truly ambitious make a piece out of each stitch or use each stitch in one piece the possibilities are numerous. 

This challenge is open to those with no experience in bead weaving to the advanced bead weaver.  I thought of this challenge, because of you that have commented on my blog about always wanting to try bead weaving but thought that you could not work with the tiny little beads.  Well now Christine and I are putting the challenge out to you to come play. Who knows you might find that you enjoy working with the tiny little beads.  You will never know until you try, right!  So for those with no experience, and we do hope that some of you play along, we suggest that you start out with something simple like a bracelet, or just a practice square, we would be cool with that, at least you tried and you will know whether you like it or not.  To the rest of you with different degrees of experience try a pattern that you have been wanting to do, or create your own the sky the limit.

To help the inexperienced beader Christine has found some video tutorials on the peyote and herringbone stitches.  You can also find examples of how to sew the stitches in the back of beading magazines such as Bead and Button and Beadwork just to name two.  You tube is also a great place to look for tutorials.  There are many free patterns on the Internet too.  Google for free peyote or free herringbone beading patterns.



The following site is an great site for Herringbone I have made a few of Ruby's designs (the black and pink bracelet in the below picture is my take on one of her designs) and the instructions are easy to follow.  If you choose to visit this site be sure to click on the home button for more interesting items.


The following site is a tutorial on Even and Odd Count Peyote this site explains how to do both stitches with good illustrations of the stitches.

Here are some pictures of some pieces Christine and I have done in both Peyote and Herringbone.

I did my first peyote stitched bracelet back in 2005 it is the third one from the left. I saw this one in a magazine (unfortunately when I searched for the magazine I could not find it, so I am unable to give credit to the person that created the design) and fell in love I just had to find out how to make this bracelet.  I ordered everything I was going to need for the bracelet from Fire Mountain Gems and I practiced the stitch while I waited for my supplies to arrive. I am so proud of this bracelet and it is still one of my favorites.  The fourth bracelet from the left is another early peyote I came across this pattern in Sept/Oct 2005 Step By Step magazine it is called Square Dance and it's a two drop peyote the pattern was designed by Rea Ann Wojehn.  The first one on the left I made in 2008 the pattern for this one in in the Jan/Feb 2008 Step By Step magazine this bracelet's name is Crystal Steps and was designed by Denise Peck the black one is just like the pattern in the magazine, the pink one is my swing on the pattern. The sixth bracelet is my first herringbone bracelet and it is also in the Jan/Feb 2008 Step by Step mag.  The name of this bracelet is Harvest Time designed by Dottie Hoeschen. In the magazine the clasp is a loop and button and I used a slide clasp.  Last but not least is the herringbone bracelet I mentioned above that I got the pattern from Ruby's Web site.

This is a peyote design by my co-host Christine it is so pretty I love how she embellished it.

Those that follow my Therese's Treasures Face book page will recognized this two drop peyote I made this one in June 2011.

This is Victoria a Cellini Spiral I did in the October 2011. The boor glass beads I won in a giveaway on Kinga Nichols' blog Crimson Frog Designs

Tubular Herringbone I created this bracelet for Michelle Mach's Suddenly Spring Hop

This Herringbone bracelet was created by Christine. This one is worked going up and down sideways.

This Herringbone bracelet was also created by Christine. Using bugle beads make the stitching go faster.  Christine used bugles and hex beads in this design.

Christine and I hope that you will sign up to play "A Time To Stitch". Sign ups will go until May 12.  The blog hop will be on June 12.

If you have any questions you can send an email to me at theresestreasures59@gmail.com or Christine at onekisscreations@comcast.net 

You can copy and paste this button to your side bar to remind you of the hop there is not a hyper link attached because I could not figure out how to make one LOL.

Feel free to spread the word about this challenge on your blog. 

 If you want to join in on this challenge leave a comment.  If your email address is not turned on please leave your email address in your comment or email either Christine or I with your email address, thank you.

Happy beading Y'all
Therese














25 comments:

  1. Hi Therese: I would love to take part in this challenge. While I normally find freeform peyote easier I might do a herringbone pattern just to challenge myself. Thanks for offering this and congrats on one year! I am at a year but not yet as advanced as you are so good for you.
    Katherine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Therese!
    You know you can count me in, I never pass up a challenge!
    Emma
    xXx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Therese - your guys challenge sounds awesome but unfortunately I can't bead weave worth nothing :) The one time I did bead weaving, in my textile class at Purdue, I about strangled myself with the the string, beads and stabbed myself with the needle. I think I will leave it to your professionals to do the challenge but I just wanted to say I can't wait to see what you all create. It sounds like everyone should have lots of fun and I can't wait to see what everyone creates!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Therese, I was cleaning up my worktable last night after the One Color Challenge, and came across some beads that would work up into a great summer bracelet, but thought, when will I find time to stitch them? Your post was the first one I clicked on this morning, and I love a challenge, so I'm just going to find the time! Congratulations on your one-year anniversary, and count me in.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on your one year!! I of course would love to join this challenge. Now I need to figure out what to do!! This is going to be lots of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Anniversary! Count me in on the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh yeah! I'm in for this challenge!!! I'll email you too Therese!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Count me in! And I will be happy to mention it in my blog, for all 12 followers! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Of course!!! I saw the announcement on Christine's blog first, so signed up there, but you know I want to play along! Hugs to both of you for coming up with the fun idea!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Therese! You have a creative spirit I hope to see your work in stores one day! Good luck! Angel

    ReplyDelete
  11. YAY!! Therese, I signed up over at Christine's blog! This is going to be so much fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I would like to play also. I have a few ideas in mind. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Therese, what a fun challenge! Happy Blogiversary! Can't wait to see all the finished pieces. What a great idea for a challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Therese, I would love to participate! Count me in. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Therese, I want to participate in this challenge too! Tubular herringbone I can do, but the flat is driving me crazy for some reason. Going to look at the tutorials.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy Blogaversary! These bracelets are all amazing! I wish I had time for bead weaving. The results are so neat and create such comfortable jewelry.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think it's great that you're doing a challenge, Therese! I would love to participate but I've told myself I have to clear some time to finish up projects on my work table that have been around far too long. Maybe next time. Congratulations on your one year!

    ReplyDelete
  18. you have some beautiful examples here!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow -Awesome my two favorite stitches!!! Hmm...will have to think about what I am going to make. Sign me up ;)

    ReplyDelete
  20. ack! I love peyote & herringbone, but I am such an novice! so as long as no one laughs .. sign me up!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh, and happy anniversary! I've only been blogging since Christmas ... will have to think about what to do to celebrate mine! But I would have guessed that you'd been at it way more than a year. You Blog Girl!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I think this is a fantastic idea! Unfortunately I have two competition pieces to get done (one by the end of May) and my two Beading Babes projects so am really short of time... BUT if you are going to be doing this again soon then I will definitely sign up. Great idea! Can't wait to see how everyone goes.

    Karyn

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow if it wasn't the end of school I would love to do this as pretty much any of it would be a challenge for me! I can't wait to see the results!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Well, I don't know how I missed this! Katherine just told me about it. Bummer. Well, I will look forward to seeing what all of you make!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi Therese: I would love to take part in this challenge. While I normally find freeform peyote easier I might do a herringbone pattern just to challenge myself. Thanks for offering this and congrats on one year! I am at a year but not yet as advanced as you are so good for you.
    bulk athletic shirts
    bulk t shirt deals

    ReplyDelete